June 5th, 2019
The community health awareness group Oral Health America has reported that 82 percent of adults are unaware of the role that infectious bacteria can play in tooth decay or cavities, and almost three out of five children aged 12 to 19 have tooth decay. Since June is National Smile Month, Dr. Kalfred Chun and our team at Kalfred Chun, DDS, MS thought we’d remind our patients about the importance of good oral hygiene visits between office visits.
To keep your family’s smiles healthy and beautiful for years to come, be sure to:
- Brush at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
- Floss every day to clean between your teeth
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet
- Reduce your intake of sugary foods and drinks
- Visit Dr. Kalfred Chun for scheduled appointments
If you want to know more about healthy home care habits, feel free to ask our team at your next appointment, or ask us on Facebook!
May 29th, 2019
ClearCorrect treatment has become a very popular treatment for teens as well as adults in the past few years. There are many reasons why they are rated as one of the number-one options for realigning teeth, but some of the options may stand out more than others.
ClearCorrect is custom made with modern 3D technology to ensure the perfect fit. This means that each aligner that is provided to you by Dr. Kalfred Chun has been specifically made for you based on impressions and X-rays of your teeth. The aligners are conveniently replaced every few weeks to keep your teeth adjusting correctly.
Although traditional metal braces do the job they aren’t always comfortable. They have to be adjusted every month and can cause some soreness for several days after. The rubber bands and brackets can also be an aggravation while eating, not to mention the rubber bands have been known to come off and be swallowed while eating.
ClearCorrect are clear, hence the name. They are literally unnoticeable and have a very smooth surface. Traditional braces are very obvious and usually metal colored. The option of having a clear or invisible form of treatment helps teens stay self-confident.
Convenience of Each Type of Treatment
Unlike traditional braces ClearCorrect is easily removable to be able to eat, drink as well as to brush and floss teeth. This helps greatly with oral hygiene.
Clear Correct also causes less soreness after changing to new aligners versus getting the traditional braces adjusted. There is also no mouth irritation due to not having wires or brackets to deal with.
Overall, ClearCorrect is more desired because of the many options as well as the convenience. Make an appointment at our Santa Maria office today to see if ClearCorrect will work for your individual orthodontic needs.
May 22nd, 2019
Memorial Day didn't become an official holiday until 1971, but Americans started gathering annually in the spring to remember those who lost their lives in war during the 1860s, right after the Civil War. Celebrated on the last Monday in May, people still decorate the grave sites of war veterans and hold memorial services, but Memorial Day has also evolved into a day that signifies the beginning of summer.
During the summer months, many people take road trips to visit family members. Some head off to the airport to enjoy a long-awaited vacation far away, while others look forward to spending time with friends and family at home. However you spend Memorial Day and the subsequent summer months, there are a few things you can take care of to ensure your summertime is enjoyable.
Checklist for an Enjoyable Summer
- Have the AC Checked. During the hottest days of summer, many families find themselves sweating it out due to a broken air conditioning system. Be proactive so you can avoid waiting for hours or days because the HVAC repair person is booked solid. Have your air conditioning system checked before or around Memorial Day each year.
- Ensure Security While You're Away. When you leave for vacation, the last thing you should have to worry about is the security of your home. Install a home security system, if possible, and put a timer on your lights so they go on and off at normal hours. You can also alert your local police department that you'll be gone, and ask them to drive by your house once in a while to make sure everything is okay.
- Visit Dr. Kalfred Chun Before Vacation. Many people put off exams until after summer vacation. Avoid the crowds and make sure your physical and oral health are in top shape prior to vacation time so there are no unpleasant surprises.
Our team at Kalfred Chun, DDS, MS wants you to look forward to Memorial Day and the days of summer by preparing to spend the time safely and comfortably. As you plan ahead, take care of your health and secure your home, you can place your focus on creating memories with family members and friends while enjoying your favorite Memorial Day traditions.
May 15th, 2019
It’s not unusual for a patient to be unaware of the range of services that orthodontists can provide for their patients. Knowing which services Dr. Kalfred Chun and our team perform can help you better understand your options and why we might select a particular method of treatment.
Both orthodontists and dentists care about good oral health, but they approach treatment in differing ways. You know that dentists clean teeth and treat gum disease, tooth decay, toothaches, and other oral health problems.
But what does your orthodontist do besides help straighten teeth with the help of braces? Orthodontists are commonly known to help fix or realign crooked teeth. Many of the patients at Kalfred Chun, DDS, MS come in for appointments that relate to their braces.
Dr. Kalfred Chun and our team recommend that children be seen around the age of seven to evaluate their potential orthodontic needs. Common problems may include overcrowding of teeth, large gaps or spaces, and overbites or underbites, among other things.
In order to address these common problems, we offer several methods of treatment besides standard braces and retainers:
- Space maintainers can be used to fill the spaces left by missing baby teeth so other teeth don’t shift and occupy the adult tooth’s location.
- Jaw repositioning appliances, sometimes known as splints, are used to reposition the upper and lower jaw bones correctly.
- Lip and cheek bumpers can also be used to avoid having to pull teeth. These bumpers are placed in the mouth so the patient’s lips or cheeks don’t put pressure on specific teeth.
- A more common appliance that orthodontists use is expanders. If your mouth is crowded, expanders will be placed on the curve of the upper and/or lower jaw(s) in order to make room for teeth to be properly aligned.
- As a last resort, an orthodontist may turn to headgear. This is normally provided to slow down the growth of the jaw. It must be worn a number of hours each day.
When you visit our Santa Maria office, we will go over these options with you and pick the best course of treatment, depending on the current state of your oral health.
No matter which oral appliances you end up with, Dr. Kalfred Chun and our team will go over all the available options with you to give you a beautiful smile. If you have questions regarding your treatment method, don’t hesitate to call our office and we can provide you with some insight.
Understanding the different options your orthodontist can provide should make matters less confusing if you should need to select a method of treatment.